I'm getting the hang of it and I'm very confident to get some basic wardrobe done this year.
During the latest cold spell and monsoon (you cannot call this rain we had lately just rain, it poured, it came down in buckets, it didn't stop until all the clouds were empty) I felt like hurrying a bit with the needle killing sweater. I did, I finished it and it became a tunic. You could call it a mini as well but no way I'd be wearing it without trousers. Not me.
I admit, it looks a bit weird but it wears well which is the most important thing.
The yarn is handspun, the coloured bits are naturally dyed and the grey is wool from some British sheep I didn't remember because I couldn't find the label anymore.
Next is another basic top. This time I used my favourite top pattern. One I made for myself several years ago and which I used already for some linen tops. I based the pattern on the parts from other tops that fitted me best. Like the neckline from one and the arm hole shape from another. Most top patterns are either to wide in the arm hole so that you reveil too much or they are too narrow and uncomfortable. Same with the neckline. So I combined whatever was best into one pattern.
I extended the pattern to keep more of the dyed fabric. It is a silk bourette jersey tube I dyed with cocheneal during my last class to show a simple resist pattern and I'm really looking forward wearing it.The blue spots at the bottom are some contaminations from logwood that happened during drying. But I like it. It looks a bit weird.
BTW Peggy: sewing jersey is really simple as long as you do it by hand. I really hate sewing it by machine. The machine makes it all very complicated but by hand it is much like any other fabric.